Most of the time, when you are working in an office or a small workspace, you need the computers to be connected so that the data can be shared. There are different resources that you can share among computers in the workplace if they are all connected through a network. As you set up a network, Windows will create a Work Group, and it will be named Work Group.
You can either join this group or make a new one. The benefit of having a workgroup is that you are able to share resources like files and a printer. This really comes in handy when you are working in a small workplace, and everyone needs to have the same information to co-ordinate. Just keep in mind that a workgroup does not give control of the participants in the network to one computer.
What is a Work Group?
A workgroup or a homegroup is a network of computers that are connected to the office or home. These computers are able to share printers, files, and other system resources. There are certain characteristics of a workgroup.
- Even though all the computers are connected, they do not have control over each other. They are merely peers.
- Secondly, all computers have their own user accounts. If you want to log in to that computer, you need to have a user account on it.
- Most of the time, a workgroup only has up to 20 computers.
- There is no password to keep the workgroup protected or hidden.
- You can only join a workgroup if you are using the same local network.
- The computer name for each computer in the workgroup is different.
How to Create a Work Group on Windows 10?
Now that you know something about a workgroup and how it actually works, let us get into the detail of how to create one for your workplace or institution. This method works for Windows 10, so you will be able to create a network if all the computers are using Windows 10.
- Go to the Start menu and then to Control Panel.
- Now, go to System and click on System Properties.
- You will see a window with information about your computer, such as the processor, RAM, rating, system type, etc.
- Here, click on the ‘Change Settings’ link. If you see a User Account Control warning, click on Continue to proceed to the next page.
- Click on the Change Button in the System Properties window. This will open the dialog boxes with Domain Changes.
- In this window, you will see the option to change the workgroup membership and name for a computer. Let the computer name be whatever it is and change the workgroup name.
- Create a new name for the workgroup or write the name of an existing one. Keep the workgroup name short, and there should be no spaces.
- Click on OK thrice. You will see three pop-ups: the dialog box, then restart message, and a welcome message. Click OK when you see all these pop-ups, and this will close the Name Change windows.
- Now, click on the Close button. This will dismiss the System properties box.
- To set these changes into action, you have to restart your computer. Save any files, if there are any, and restart your computer.
- When it starts again, the settings will be applied.
How to Change Workgroup in Command Prompt?
You can also change the workgroup in Command Prompt. First of all, open the command prompt and type this command.
wmic computersystem where name=”%computername%” call joindomainorworkgroup name=”Workgroup-Name”
In the Workgroup name part, write the name of your workgroup. The workgroup is named by default, but you can also change its name. So, if you have done that, write the name here. After typing in the command, close the command prompt, and restart your computer to apply the changes.
Why Setup a Work Group?
A workgroup is a network that uses Microsoft software and allows the participating computers to share system resources. There are many benefits of using a workgroup, which is why a lot of small workspaces have workgroups on their computers.
Workgroups are ideal for smaller local area networks like schools and small businesses. Not only is a workgroup easy to install, but it also has a simple configuration.
Moreover, the resources are shared between the participating networks so everyone can stay on the same page. The computers do not need to have any specific hardware specifications to be part of a network, and that makes it easy for any organization to make a workgroup.
If you have a large workplace, it can be broken down into workgroups. For example, different departments of the office can be in the same workgroup. This makes managing work much easier and well-organized.
Are there any Disadvantages of a Workgroup?
There are a few drawbacks of having a workgroup rather than a domain. First of all, workgroups are quite weak as compared to domains. Also, there is no managing entity in a workgroup that manages the resources. If you have to transmit sensitive data, you cannot use a workgroup because it is not so safe. Therefore, a workgroup is not ideal for offices or workplaces where sensitive information is transmitted, and more stringent management is required to maintain the resources.
Having a workgroup in your workplace makes some things much easier and simpler. The coordination gets easier as files can be shared. Also, most small offices only have one printer, so it is better to have a workgroup through which you can share the printer. We hope that you would have learned how to set up a windows 10 workgroup through this guide.
You can set it up by going to Control Panel or through Command Prompt. It is easier to do it through Control Panel as you can keep the name of your choice and go to advanced settings and change them too, if you desire. Let us know how your workgroup benefits you in the workplace.